Wednesday, July 31, 2013

One month to go

     I've been holding off on writing for a while, mostly because I have been thinking a lot about what I want to do next. And, to make it brief and for reasons I don't really feel like getting into on the internet, I am leaving for Vietnam at the end of August. The plan is to have a detour in Beijing for a few days before heading to Saigon to look for a job. I have friends there and the opportunity sounds quite grand. I'm sure I will have more to say when I get there, so I don't want to say too much as of now.

     And seeing as I'm still in Korea, however, I'll talk about that for a few minutes before heading to bed. The last few months have been a whirlwind of teaching and travel. This year we have completely revamped the first grade class. Instead of boring TEPS listening comprehension practice, we have been doing a three-pronged approach of reading articles, watching videos, and presenting speeches on topics usually relevant and newsworthy.

I may be missing a few, but here are most of the topics we have studied this year:

1. Dennis Rodman visits North Korea
2. A man that sells parcels of land on the moon
3. "Sugar Man" Rodriguez, the unknown musician from Detroit that impacted a generation in South Africa
4. Anonymous Hacks North Korea
5. "Three Questions" by Leo Tolstoy
6. 3-D printed gun invented and tested
7. Excerpts from "Sum" by David Eagleman about the afterlife
8. Women now allowed in combat in the U.S.
9. Malala Youfsufzai fights for education for girls in Afghanistan
10. Scientists create a bionic eye that allows blind to "see"

The majority of these lessons began by watching a video one or two times and answering questions. After that, we typically read articles and


No comments:

Post a Comment